Friday, January 9, 2009

The Tsarina's Daughter by Carolly Erickson (5/81)

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about the Romanov dynasty. This book is a fictionalized account of the life of Tatiana Romanov (aka Tania) one of four daughters of Tsar Nicholas and Tsarina Alexandra. The book begins in 1989 with Tatiana now being known Daria Gradov in 1989, married to Michael and now a mother and grandmother. She is looking back on her life and preparing to tell the truth about who she is.
The reader eventually learns how Tatiana became known as Daria, we also learn who Michael is and how they met. The ending seemed to be slightly abrupt for me. Also I had a hard time keeping all the familial ties straight in my head, I believe Tatiana's parents may have been cousins if I was following the story correctly.
At any rate, this was book was a quick, enjoyable read, and left me wanting to learn more about Queen Victoria (Tatiana's great grandmother) and the Romanov dynasty.

No comments: