Saturday, January 10, 2009

Alice Adams by Booth Tarkington (6/81)

I chose this book because I had started watching a movie called the Magnificent Ambersons, and made note of the author. I had no ideas that this author had written so many books. I had heard of Penrod and Seventeen but I don't remember if I read them. (pre LT so I have no idea what I read). I also plan to read the Magnificent Ambersons as part of my Pulitzer category for my 999.
Alice Adams is the story of a silly, vain young girl trying her best to climb the social ladder and land a husband of means. Think Scarlett O'Hara in a Midwestern venue. The story take place in the 1920's. Alice and her mother do their best to get the nicest dresses, get invited to all the society dances and parties, and harassing Mr Adams into believing that he hasn't done enough to ensure his daughter's proper place in society, in fact questioning his ability to provide for his family. Walter, Alice's brother shuns everything that has to do with society circles and keeps company with unsavory characters which embarrasses the family.
In the end, after life altering events take place, Alice realizes that she is responsible for her future and that the upper class society may not be everything she thought it would be.
This was a good book, and I am looking forward to reading the Magnificent Ambersons as I have read that it is a better written book than this one.

No comments: