Saturday, January 17, 2009

Anne's House of Dreams by L. M. Montgomery (4/81)

Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery, read by Susan O'Malley
Category: Audiobooks

In Anne's House of Dreams, the fifth book in the "Anne" series, newlyweds Anne and Gilbert Blythe move to Four Winds, where Gilbert will take over his uncle's medical practice. In her new home, she meets new people like Captain Jim, the keeper of the lighthouse, Leslie, who is trapped in an unhappy marriage, and the unique Miss Cornelia, who entertains all Four Winds' inhabitants with her pronouncements against men and Methodists.

This was a reread for me. Though I already knew what to expect in terms of the story, reading it now as an adult was very different from when I was a young teen. Then, I was rather scandalized by some of Miss Cornelia's ways and Leslie's strongly emotional outbursts. This time around, Miss Cornelia was much funnier and though I couldn't really relate to Leslie's feelings I could understand them a little bit more. Because of this, and the fact that most of the characters are in their 20s and married, I think calling this a "teen" novel is a bit of a misnomer. 4.5 stars.

Cross posted at Born Reader.

No comments: