Monday, January 5, 2009

#5/81 Benjamin Franklin: An American Life

This biography of Benjamin Franklin really disappointed me. First of all I did not like the style of writing from Walter Issacson. It was very disjointed jumping from one thought process to another and back again. I felt that there were too many quotations in the early part of the book telling of his youth and his start in business. Toward the middle and end there were too many facts just put out like a grocery list. However, it was informative and I discovered that Mr. Franklin was indeed a remarkable Renaissance man with a sincere conscience that was geared to the benefit of all men. Having been offered a patent for what is now known as the Franklin Stove by the Governor of PA , declining he stated "As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours and this we should do freely and generously."Without his intercession at the Constitutional Congress, many believe that our government would not have been sucessful in developing as it did.I can't say that I would recommend this book but I won't say that it was all bad.

No comments: