Sunday, January 11, 2009

3/81 - The Lost King of France

Just finished The Lost King of France today. It wasn't what I expected, really. I guess I was focused on the subtitle - "How DNA solved the mystery of the murdered son of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette." However, that was only about the last 1/4 of the book. The first part was all about the French Revolution and Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI. 

Wow, some of this was tough to read. The details of what the Royal family endured were horrific. Just reading about the crazy mobs and their bloodlust was disgusting. A very sad insight into human nature - just as the king was trying to make things more just and fair for the masses, they arrest him. 

I had no idea of what the little prince suffered and as a mother, I found it completely despicable that anyone would treat a child, any child, in just a cruel and inhuman way. I know that abuse happens, of course, but to know that so many people knew what was going on and none of them did anything, that is really disturbing.

The last part was interesting though. I can recommend it, but it really is only in part about science. Most of it is history, and very sad history at that.

No comments: