Saturday, February 28, 2009

Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill (15/81)


C2007 374pages 4 stars
Category: The Monster Mash

Aging rock star Judas Coyne finds himself pursued by a particularly nasty ghost after being tricked into purchasing the dead man’s suit. Now Jude must fight to keep both himself and those he loves alive while investigating why the spirit is after his blood.

A few months ago I heard a lot about this book. I was not familiar with Joe Hill so I looked up his author page on LT. The face I saw looked awful familiar to me... was it....Stephen King’s son?! My, my, my. I like Stephen King but I am a huge fan of his wife, Tabitha King. So I read this book out of good old-fashioned curiosity. I had to know... were the writing genes passed down to Junior? The answer is an unequivocal Yes. This book is creepy. It didn’t keep me awake at night or give me nightmares but it stayed in my thoughts constantly in my waking hours. And I think that’s exactly what Hill and his father are particularly gifted with. They write about scary things but in an everyday manner so that when you’re going about your day - walking down a hall, feeding your dog, riding in a car, etc - you’re thinking about their stories. I really enjoyed Hill’s writing style, perhaps a bit edgier than his dad’s. I’ll be reading more from him.

No comments: