Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - 20/81

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, for Library Thing/Good Reads category.

I *LOVED* this book. 

Writer Juliet Ashton has come through World War II more or less intact, although her flat was destroyed by bombs. But she's doing all right and ready to start a new project. Around then, she starts a correspondence with Dawsey Adams, an inhabitant of the tiny island of Guernsey. They've been cut off from all communication with England for 5 years and are desperate to catch back up to what they've missed.

Soon Juliet (and through her, the reader) finds herself completely drawn into the wartime history of this small community. Through letters, she makes friends with people she's never met, and must reexamine what she wants out of life.

It sounds just too heartwarming and sappy for words, but I thought it was great. I actually remembered a little of the history of Guernsey before I read the book, but I found myself horrified at some of the things I read. I kept telling my husband - "Guess what!" and then telling him something I had read.

The characters are wonderful, funny and tragic and pathetic. The setting is so well done. I have to add the isle of Guernsey to another of the places I would love to visit.

I really recommend this book! It's one of those books that as soon as I finished it, I wanted to go back and read it again.

No comments: