Thursday, February 26, 2009

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (23/81)

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett
Category: Audiobooks

Moist von Lipwig, con man extraordinaire who unfortunately got caught, narrowly avoids dying...only to be practically forced into becoming Postmaster at the long-defunct Post Office of Anhk-Morpork. The task is, well, impossible - he has only two employees and a golem for a parole officer to make sure he stays in line. The Post Office has bigger problems than that, though, with its mail bursting out of every room and everyone using the Grand Trunk to send messages. Maybe it's a perfect job for a con man, after all.

Though the 30th in the Discworld series, you don't need to have read any of the others to enjoy the story (I've only read one other one that had nothing at all to do with this). Pratchett's trademark humor made me laugh out loud at times, and Stephen Briggs did an excellent job narrating. 4.5 stars.

Cross-posted at Born Reader.

2 comments:

Cindy B said...

This was the first Discworld book I read and I loved it! Thanks for the recommendation. I will see if my library has the audio version.

Mary said...

This was my second Discworld - my first was Lords and Ladies. It made having read A Midsummer Night's Dream 3 times (I hated it every time) worthwhile, because I understood the jokes that much better. :-)

I'm definitely looking forward to reading more in Discworld.