Monday, March 2, 2009

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman (25/81)

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Category: Graphic Novels

While trying to summon Death, the leader of a mysterious order inadvertently captures Dream, imprisoning him for years. This wreaks havoc on the world as we know it, as Dream's tools are used by humans who have no way of coping with their power, and several people become infected with a "sleepy sickness." All Dream can think about is getting free - and then getting revenge.

The first in the Sandman series is a little uneven, very creepy ("24 Hours" was downright scary), and I liked Dream and some of the other characters introduced. I'm definitely going to read the next book in the series to see how things develop. 4 stars.

Cross-posted on my blog, Born Reader.

2 comments:

Cindy B said...

I've only read Gaiman's childrens books, but this one sounds really good.

Mary said...

Someone I went to school with highly recommended The Sandman graphic novel series, and I've meant to try it for over a year now. I did enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to reading the next couple in the series soon.

Hope you enjoy it!