Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Man Who Was Thursday by G K Chesterton (34/81)

Category: New to Me Authors

Gabriel Syme is an undercover policeman who infiltrates a secret anarchist group who plan to bring down society. To protect their identities each member of the group is known by a day of the week, with Syme taking over the post of Thursday.

Another odd book (like The Third Policeman) that I enjoyed in part but am not entirely sure I fully understood and at times made me feel like I was going mad! It was very funny in places and absolutely ridiculous in others and up to a point can be enjoyed as an absurd adventure. But in the latter chapters there is higher allegorical meaning, which was lost on me.

So I was glad I read this and would encourage others to give it a try, but I don't think I'll be reading more of Chesterton in the future.

No comments: