Thursday, March 5, 2009

Children of Men by P.D. James (19/81)


C1992 241pages 5stars
Category: Speculative Fiction

*** SPOILERS IN THIS SUMMARY***
Theo has just turned fifty. Looking back over his failed marriage, his years teaching history at Oxford and the place he gave up on The Council, Theo finds he is just as disillusioned, despondent and depressed as the rest of England. One day Theo is contacted by a group of rebels named The Five Fishes. They want him to approach his cousin, Xan, the most powerful man in England, about changing certain regulations. Theo knows it's a lost cause but he brings their requests to Xan anyway. Seeing his willingness to help, Julian entrusts Theo with the Fishes' most valuable secret: she is pregnant. The only pregnant woman in England; the only pregnant woman in the world. Her child will be the first born in 25 years. Julian fears that Xan will do anything to obtain her baby. Theo knows Julian is right but does he have the will and the strength to oppose Xan? How much can one man do? How much does one baby mean?

Just over a week ago I was reading a thread in Talk and found mention of a book and movie named Children of Men. I had not heard of it before but I decided to Netflix it. While there were things I disliked about it, the film was moving and its themes interested me. I started the book three days ago and have been in its thrall ever since. I simply cannot express how much I have enjoyed it. Every page. This book has so much to take in and digest. It is one of the best books I have ever read. I want to read it again right now. And then maybe read it once every single year. I am overwhelmed by it.

1 comment:

SandDancer said...

I've heard such mixed review of this book. I saw the film a while ago and wasn't overly impressed by it, but the book would fit my "dystopia" category so I may still read it.