Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Behind the Scenes at the Museum (39/81)

Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson
Category: New to Me Authors

Ruby Lennox knew almost from conception that she was unwanted. Her mother Bunty, father George, and sisters Patricia and Gillian live Above the Shop that George and Bunty grudgingly own and run. Ruby insightfully narrates their lives, inserting "footnotes" between each chapter that detail the lives of her ancestors.

I'm finding it difficult to summarize my impressions. The story that unfolds of an ordinary family kept me reading primarily because of Ruby's voice rather than my interest in the characters (I was often annoyed with them) or the plot (internal and retrospective even while being narrated in present tense). At times beautifully descriptive, it was an often unsettling story that I found compelling even when I didn't enjoy it. 3.5 stars.

Cross-posted at Born Reader.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi-

I was having problems with your e-mail address. I know that this is NOT the proper spot, but I didn't know where to go.

My name is Judy (Intergalatic Bookworm) (http://intergalacticbookworm.blogspot.com) . I thought that I signed up for your challenge, but when I wanted to post my 1 paragraph review for The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy, I did not find my blog listed with the other particpants. I would like to join the challenge. Here is my review link: http://intergalacticbookworm.blogspot.com/2009/03/death-of-ivan-ilych.html I am bedridden with ALS/Lou Gehrig's Disease and I am hoping for a wheelchair soon. My mom doesn't know where she put the Doctor Who book Forever Autumn. As soon as she finds it, I will update my blog and give you the new link. Also, when I thought that I registered for your 999 Challenge, you did not have buttons yet, so I did a picture search on Yahoo! and made my own. I hope that you will accept me for your challenge. Judy