Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult (28/81)


category: Favorite Author's Books I Haven't Read Before
C2009 477pages 3stars

Willow has ostogenesis imperfecta. Her bones break when she turns over in her sleep, when she sits down awkwardly, or even when she sneezes. Her parents, Sean and Charlotte, are buried in medical bills. So Charlotte takes the only course of action she can see.... she sues her OB/GYN. She stands up in court and says that had she been informed of Willow's condition, she would have terminated the pregnancy. But as the lawsuit progresses, Charlotte learns it's not just Willow that she has to handle with care. Her other relationships are fragile too.

I was so looking forward to this book. Reading the description on Amazon it sounded similar to My Sister's Keeper (which was the very first Picoult I read, and remains my favorite, the standard by which I judge all the others). The book, like its siblings, is told in alternating chapters from different viewpoints. Quite frankly, I didn't really care about any of these people. I didn't connect with them. Maybe I'm just getting too accustomed to Picoult's formula. I have read every one of her novels (more than once). When I read Handle With Care, all I saw was the formula. I knew exactly what was going to happen to each character at the end. And it did. Marin, check. Charlotte and Sean, check. Amelia, check. Even little Willow. I was so disappointed. So, strike one. Even the MVP's have a bad game once in awhile. Next time, I'm hoping Picoult hits it out of the ballpark.

No comments: