Saturday, June 6, 2009

Watership Down, 36/81, 2nd Round

Watership Down, by Richard Adams, reread category

Hazel, his brother Fiver, and some other rabbits set off to find a new place to live. Along the way, they encounter challenges they never expected and prove to be resourceful and brave.

For many folks, they have to wonder how good a book about rabbits could really be. But to paraphrase Lance Armstrong, it's not about the bunny. This is about a quest to find a safe place to call home.

From the preface, it seems that Adams was a little tired of being pressed to explain "what it all means." It started out as a children's story about rabbits. But whether he intended it that way or not, it became much more.

This is still one of my favorite stories. I love Hazel, the leader in spite of himself, who inspires his group by his compassion and common sense. I love Bigwig, tough and brave, but willing to learn something new. I love Dandelion and Blackberry, and they way the help their friends and never give up.

This time around, I especially loved the ending, when Hazel goes on to his reward. Just a great book. And if all you see in it is a story about some bunnies, that's okay with me. But to me it means a lot more.

No comments: